The official board of the Undying Italia community

Portal HomePortal Home FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need to quadruple the incline

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Undying Italia - Portal Home -> Undying Past - The game and released mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Labi1995
Howler
Howler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: need to quadruple the incline Reply with quote

Interesting post, which really shatters the myth that 180 steps per minute (i.e. 1.5 strides per second on the above graph) results in optimum performance. This value Nike Air Max 95 Mujer would be on the upper end of Burfoot’s range (though it would be interesting to look a video of Amby running his 1968 Boston Marathon 2:22 win; I suspect he obtained his former pace both with a Nike Air Max 2017 Femme higher cadence and a longer stride) where-as it is at your low end. What I find interesting, particularly looking at Weyland’s and your upward tilting curves at highest speeds is the implication that many (?) runners’ incremental velocity gains at their fastest sprint speeds is obtained more-so via a faster cadence than a longer stride. It would be interesting to study comparable data as you four have provided over a broader range of runners.In any case, having recently obtain a Garmin footpod to equivalently measure my own stride frequency versus pace it occurs that a treadmill test, versus a road test with data sampled over a much longer Nike Air VaporMax Femme period of time, results in less accurate and meaningful data – owing to the inherent springiness of the treadmill’s bed, the absence of wind resistance, and the runner’s increased consciousness of Nike Free Run 2.0 Mujer their cadence being measured (i.e. the Hawthorne effect). As a knowledgeable specialty running shoe representative recently told me: “Any over-striding heel-striking runner can consistently land on their mid-foot when running the length of the store.”that a runner needs to set the treadmill at one-percent grade to match the energy needed to run at that same pace outdoors, owing both to the absence of wind resistance and the completely predictable treadmill landing surface (which if employed outdoors would risk tripping!) Purely subjectively I’ve found several treadmills at my fitness center which provide a very bouncy bed. While I’m sure the Nike Air Max 95 Hombre designers of such treadmills hoped to reduce the likelihood of injury via minimizing peak landing forces of the limbs and joints, the result is that a one-percent grade doesn’t come close to my Nike Air Max 97 Femme outdoors exertion at the same speed. So, on such bouncy treadmills I’ve learned to set those grades to 1.5% and sometimes 2%, based solely on my feel. It’s my guess that the bounciness of such treadmill Nike Air Max 90 Homme beds encourages runners to develop an bouncy gait, but the runner can reduce this likelihood by being cognizant of their environment while running and maintaining a relatively high cadence.The amount of incline you’ll need to replicate the cost of wind resistance will vary according to the speed you are trying to replicate, so a single value wouldn’t be appropriate. The force of wind resistance goes up by the square of wind speed, so double your speed and you’ll have four times as much drag, and Nike Air Max 2017 Mujer for small inclines the amount of incline for doubling the speed you’d need to quadruple the incline.You also mention about the vertical Nike Air Max 270 Femme elasticity of the treadmill effect things, and I would have thought that this will be the case, how much it might help or hinder your efficiency will depend on how it effects your gait and the forces you Nike Air Max 95 Femme are applying and the energy loses associated with this vertical deformation. It’s a complex system so could go either way and likely vary at different paces, so I’d can’t really make an educated guess whether one should incline the treadmill for it’s elastic properties – to answer this one would need to do experimentation like done in the paper you highlighted. One thing for sure though – not all treadmills are the same so you’d need to calibrate separately for each type.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Undying Italia - Portal Home -> Undying Past - The game and released mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: